Sausage Bites and Sausage Balls
Two Easy To Make Sausage Appetizers
Here is some tasty game time man food.
Sausage Bites are a great addition to any party spread. It's not just a football party recipe; these wonderful little appetizers are great for any occasion.
We serve these at many holiday parties and the crowds always come back for more. If you don't believe me, then place these next to a jar of salsa and chips or a boring onion dip and see which one disappear first.
Puff pastry sheets can be purchased at your local grocery store. They are in the freezer section near the pie shells. We like to use a low fat breakfast sausage when making this sausage appetizer because it cuts down on the grease that is generated when cooking.
If you really want to cut down on the grease, then look at the bottom of this page for an easier and less greasy way to make these tasty bites of heaven.
Sausage Bites Recipe
- 1 –17 ounce package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 – egg
- 1 – tablespoon milk
- 1 – 1 pound package of low fat Breakfast Sausage Roll, well chilled
- Cut out pieces of a brown paper bag the same size as a cookie sheet
- Preheat oven 400˚ F.
- Cut pastry sheet into 3 strips lengthwise.
- In small bowl, beat milk with egg with until well blended.
- Brush top of each pastry strip with the milk-egg mixture
- Here's the messy part. Divide the uncooked sausage into 6 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a log the same length as the pastry strips you cut
- In the middle of each strip, place a sausage log
- Pull the edges of the pastry up around the log and pinch together to enclose sausage.
- Brush tops with remaining egg - milk mixture.
- Chill in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Place the precut sheet of brown paper bag on a cookie sheet.
- Cut each pastry roll into 1 inch slices and place on top of the brown paper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until pastry is light brown and sausage is cooked
The Less Messy Way:
- A way to make this recipe easier is to use precooked sausage links. They usually come frozen in a box at your grocery store. Make sure the sausage links are defrosted first.
- Cut the pastry dough into pieces that match the width of the sausage. Then roll the sausage and dough up until they are covered. Overlapping the dough over the sausage and pressing the seam together.
- Then slice into 1 inch pieces and place on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Brush the tops of the dough with the egg and milk wash.
- Cook at 400 degrees until the outsides are a light brown.
Easy To Make Sausage Appetizer
Sausage Balls are an easy sausage appetizer to make. The flavors blend together to produce an irresistible treat for your next party.
You can use mild or hot sausage for this recipe. Breakfast sausage works well and we usually provide some dipping sauces like Ranch Dressing, Honey Mustard and Ketchup to go with these.
You will end up with about 8 dozen, which is a good thing since I caught my family snacking on them before the party started. It's a good idea to crush up the rosemary leaves before adding them to the mix so that they blend better in the batter.
Sausage Balls Recipe
- 3 cups baking mix
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed rosemary leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Lightly grease bottom of cookie sheet with cooking spray
- Stir together all of the ingredients
- Shape mixture into 1-inch balls. Using your hands
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until brown and then remove from pan.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Return from Sausage Bites to Football Party Food